Our Response to COVID-19
The School of Film & Photography is dedicated to keeping the students, staff, and faculty safe during this unprecedented time. Because the art & creativity of filmmaking and photography depend so heavily upon in-person production, the SFP has worked with Montana State University to create a set of guidelines for every student production. These guidelines (outlined below) come from the standard set by the professional industry. We encourage you to familiarize yourself with these guidelines and hold the students around you to the professional standard.
In order for productions to continue, the following polices should be considered:
- Students are encouraged to embrace industry COVID protocols to keep productions on track and demonstrate professionalism. If a member of the crew/cast tests positive and they must quarantine or isolate, the loss of production time and financial cost could have an effect on the outcome of the final product.
- Students are required to create a specific COVID safety plan for production. By creating
a COVID plan
outlining the safety procedure they will use to safely conduct a photoshoot or film set based on examples currently being used in the industry (SAG, cinematographer's union, film commissions, production companies, ) students will continue to keep safety a top priority. These written plans should be approved by the faculty before shooting or filming can begin. Before production begins, plans should be emailed to the proper faculty member.
- All film crews, cast, photographers, models, and actors, regardless of MSU affiliation, are required to sign an acknowledgement of risk regarding their participation in student Although crews and casts will do their best to limit potential exposure to COVID-19 through proper mask and distancing guidelines, the acknowledgement of risk asks signees to acknowledge the inherent risks in participating in film or photography projects where constant mask use and distancing measures are difficult to maintain throughout the production. Participants will assume all risk and liability for their participation in these productions and hold Montana State University and its' affiliates harmless. Printed and signed waivers must be kept by the producer of each film or photo project.
- If it is found that someone is running a fever or shows indications of any CDC outlined
symptoms, they will not be allowed to work on the production until they submit proof
of a negative COVID-19 test result.
- As available to the public, it is strongly recommended all MSU affiliated student crews and casts should be tested for COVID-19 before, during, and at the end of shooting/filming. The responsibility of verifying costs and availability lies with the student and not MSU. It is not required for MSU students share their results with others, however, if they chose not to be tested or share their test results, the crew and cast must take this into account when considering the individual's role during filming/shooting and the overall safety of the cast and crew.
- Models/Actors, who are not affiliated with MSU are strongly encouraged to show proof of a negative COVID test on a weekly basis while working with a photography or film crew, this includes being tested one week prior to shooting/filming and at the start of session/filming. If unaffiliated models/actors show symptoms and cannot provide negative test results per the schedule above, they cannot engage in Anytime a formal invitation is made for a non-MSU affiliated model or actor to participate in a photograph or film for an MSU project then the protocol above must be followed.
- Students on the film/photography crew and those in the cast agree to avoid events and environments that do not allow for social distancing or mask use when they are working on these
- All cast & crew members are strongly encouraged to wear masks on set. During shooting/filming, the actor/model can remove their mask during shooting. Social distancing should be practiced by the crew when the model/actor's mask is off. After shooting/filming unmasked actors, appropriate sanitization will be carried out on furnishing, materials, situated within six feet of the model/actor during the shot.
- All Models/Actors will maintain appropriate social distancing in master shots that require more than a single unmasked actor.
Film & Photography students can utilize spaces in VCB for shooting their photos/films and will work to maintain to social distancing, mask use (excluding model/actor being filmed), and sanitize the spaces used before and after each
- Each member of the crew will be asked to verbally confirm that, to the best of their knowledge, they are free of typical COVID-19 symptoms before working with others on the
- If a member of the film/photo crew does not feel well or has been exposed to someone who is positive for COVID-19, they will not be involved in filming/shooting until it is safe for them to rejoin the production.
- While the COVID vaccine is strongly encouraged, requiring information about a person’s vaccination status is not allowed. Students who wish to work with vaccinated cast and crews may not discriminate against anyone who does not wish to volunteer their vaccination status.
- Film LA provides information on the latest production stats within California, along with a list of COVID compliance requirements for resuming on-set work. They also provide a list of external resouces that provide COVID specific support, job opportunities, and funding for filmmakers.
- This report, created by the State of Georgia, outlines the safety requirements for resuming film production. The Georgia Film Academy also provides free online certifications in COVID compliance.